Thursday, October 13, 2011

Design 2D: Line

I realized that I started this blog right after I had to turn in this project...but I still wanted to put it up! :)

Assignment:
Recreate an image using only line. You will not use outline to define the image. All
the lines will be placed within the plains of the design. Using a variety
of line, width and length you will be able to show direction, value, and dimension.


 I decided to use a photograph my dad took while we were on vacation in New York City. This was taken on the subway....which we agreed was one of the most photographic places we have ever seen!!


Items to consider while working: Where do your eyes rest on the drawing?
Does it move up or down? Left to right? Is there a focal point? How does the
different type of lines affect the images?



This is how it turned out! I decided to do the whole image using pointillism.

Looking it at now though, I have definitely learned a lot since then! Today, I met with my professor to talk about my Value Project (which will be posted soon). She told me that my biggest issue is showing depth. To improve this project, I would need to go back and really bring out the darker areas because as of now, it looks incomplete. However, she did say that I successfully used "the rule of thirds"...yay!! :D

Besides that, I'm really happy with it! I love that the actual image (that I ended up making millions of dots for and spending endless hours on) means a lot to me. :)

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know this was photographed by your father, that's so cool! I wish you could send the image to the man in the picture!

    -Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that'd be awesome! But he was a street performer so it would be almost impossible to find him again :D

    ReplyDelete