Saturday, October 29, 2011

Drawing I: Sheets

Drawing sheets is one of the most challenging things I've been asked to draw in my Drawing I class!!! It requires a lot of concentration and time. We were asked to take gray paper to class along with black charcoal and white conte crayon to draw in the highlights. For the drawing below, we were given about 20 minutes. My professor told us to incorporate everything we have learned so far this year, like contour drawing and crosshatching while at the same time remembering to use speed and precision.


This drawing is a lot different from what I would have done in the beginning of the semester. During midterms, my professor's biggest critique for me was to not be so afraid. She wanted to see me be more bold in my pieces. In the drawing above, I really tried to take her advice but I could still use more practice in that.

The next class, she gave us the whole three hours to complete one drawing!......


I realized that even though we were "rewarded" three hours to work on this, I wasn't able to finish it! It was hard for me to be as "bold" with the highlights as a I am more used to doing with the black. My professor helped me a lot in trying to create contrast. She always suggests to take a step back from what I draw to really be able to see what needs to be brought out more.

It's really exciting seeing my growth in this class! I started off having never taken an art class before, to really being able to observe things in a different way.
Next class we are meeting up in dowtown Orlando! I'm really excited because urban places have always inspired me in my photography and it is where I have gotten my best shots. Hopefully I am able to use what I've learned and draw with SPEED!!!


"Think better. See better. Draw better."
-My Drawing I professor

No comments:

Post a Comment